David Hayes is a Brisbane based artist who works in acrylic and resin. His work is rooted in pop culture stylistically but explores the changing themes of masculinity via metaphors and juxtapositions of theme, color and work titles.
“I was raised with post WWII traditional stereotypes and now observe a different culture and the changing roles and identities of young men and women – none more so than my own children. They themselves represent the broader population. I am interested in asking questions and thinking about subjects that matter to me as a father and as a male – conflict, struggle, aggression, vulnerability, holding on, letting go – the human condition.”
-David Hayes 2016.
Some of his influences include traditional figures of the pop art movement including Warhol, Lichtenstein and Ramos, yet he continues to evolve the style with influences of current artists such as Kehinde Wiley, Richard Philips and Jeff Koons.
His choice of medium is acrylic, spray enamel and resin. This is relevant to the genre in the representational element of a rapid and “artificial” man made quality to the image. The glossy veneer together with a bright candy palette provides the viewer with an initial sense of familiarity and fun. This often belies the deeper narrative of subject matter.
- 2014 ‘Originality Prize’, Lethbridge Small Scale Art Award, Brisbane.
- 2011 Second Prize, Art Scene Today ‘Coloring Outside the Lines’, International Online Art
- 2010 Avant Card, Art Card Emerging Artist Program.
- 2010 Highly commended, Wilston Art Show, Wilston State School, Wilston, QLD.
- 2008 Highly commended, Wilston Art Show, Wilston State School, Wilston, QLD.
- Queensland Institute of Medical Research
- 2017 ‘Trajectory’, Mitchell Fine Art, Brisbane.
- 2013 Asia Contemporary Art Show, Hong Kong.
- 2012 Art Brisbane, Affordable Art Fair, Brisbane.
- 2012 Melbourne Affordable Art Fair, (selected for START programme), Melbourne.
- 2011 ‘Up yours Jackie’, Bleeding Heart Gallery, Brisbane.
- 2009 ‘Ekkaphilia’, Doggett St, Brisbane.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2017 Finalist, Moreton Bay Art Prize,
- 2017 Finalist, Gallipoli Art Prize, Sydney.
- 2017 ‘Director’s Choice’, Mitchell Fine Art, Brisbane.
- 2016 Finalist, Redlands Art Prize, Queensland
- 2016 ‘Reveal’, Mitchell Fine Art, Brisbane.
- 2016 Asia Contemporary Art Fair, Hong Kong.
- 2016 Singapore Contemporary Art Fair, Singapore.
- 2015 Finalist, Queensland Government Contemporary Art Awards, Brisbane.
- 2015 Hong Kong Affordable Art Fair, Hong Kong.
- 2015 Finalist, Black Swan Art Prize for Portraiture, Art Gallery of WA, Perth Cultural Centre, WA
- 2014 ‘Beginnings’, Engine Room Gallery, Brisbane.
- 2014 Art Takes Miami, Art Basel Miami.
- 2014 Finalist, ‘Arc Yinnar’ Biennial Drawing Prize.
- 2014 Finalist, Lethbridge 10,000 Small Scale Art Award, Lethbridge Gallery, Brisbane.
- 2014 Finalist, ‘Who’s looking at you Portrait Competition’, Cambridge Studio Gallery, Melbourne.
- 2014 Singapore Affordable Art Fair, Singapore.
- 2014 Milan Affordable Art Fair.
- 2014 Brussels Affordable Art Fair.
- 2013 ‘Keep Youth’, Retrospect Gallery Byron Bay, NSW.
- 2013 Finalist, The Lethbridge 10,000 Small Scale Art Award, Lethbridge Gallery, Brisbane.
- 2013 Singapore Affordable Art Fair, Singapore.
- 2013 Hamburg Affordable Art Fair, Germany.
- 2013 Stockholm Affordable Art Fair, Sweden.
- 2013 Amsterdam Affordable Art Fair, The Netherlands.
- 2013 Hong Kong Affordable Art Fair, Hong Kong.
- 2012 Finalist, Blake Prize, Sydney.
- 2012 Finalist, Mosman Art Prize, Sydney.
- 2012 Finalist, Lethbridge 10 000 Small Scale Art Award, Brisbane.
- 2011 ‘Exhibition 11b’, Brunswick St Gallery, Melbourne.
- 2011 Finalist, Directors Cut, Blake Prize, Sydney.
- 2011 Finalist, Clayton Utz Launch Art Prize, Brisbane.
- 2011 Finalist, BSG Open Art Prize, Brunswick Street Gallery, Melbourne.
- 2010 ‘Exhibition 10b’, Brunswick St Gallery, Melbourne..
- 2010 Finalist, The Lethbridge 10,000 Small Scale Art Award, Brisbane.
- 2009 ‘The Ruminate Exhibition’, 2nd BIRA (Brisbane Artists Run Initiative) Festival, Brisbane.
- 2013 Green Furniture, Hong Kong