We all want a garden to be beautiful and practical at the same time, but sometimes it can feel like an uphill battle. The beautiful gardens we see on TV and online may feel beyond you and it is easy to get disheartened.
There are several things to remember when revamping your garden. TV stations can shoot at the most appealing angle so much of what you see is hidden. Bear in mind, that the camera shows all but only what it is pointing at.
Also, no garden was made overnight. It is a case of working on aspects of it until you are happy and then moving on to the next. So don’t feel disheartened just keep at it and soon it will start to come good.
So how do we improve our gardens?
Have a Plan
It is a good idea to make a plan before you start. This way, you’ll have something to refer back to and it will help keep you focused. Include in your plan:
- A rough layout of your garden– From here you can decide what you want where. So for example, you may want an area for the kids or a place to put garden furniture such as deck chairs, tables, and BBQs. As your plan develops you’ll be putting in more detail allowing you to work to better targeted goals.
- Schedule– Once you have your plan decide in what order you want to do it. Remember plants may take some time to grow if you’re growing from seed, and you should factor this into the design and your schedule.
- In many respects, you may want to work on the parts of the garden you are going to use the most. This way, you can start using your garden sooner and you’ll get more out of it.
- Plants– Decide on the plants you want and start planting as soon as you can. Your rough layout will give you a good idea of where to plant them. Take into account the light and shelter as different plants thrive in different environments. Do a little research to get this right. Spend time deciding what colours you want in your garden when choosing plants.
- Furniture– No matter what size of garden you want and your budget, you want garden furniture that looks stylish and robust. You may not live in a place with a harsh climate, but nonetheless, an investment in furniture that is going to last is recommended. Make a list of what you want, and then you can research the furniture and buy accordingly.
- Features– No matter what features you want in your garden, building them into your plan is essential whether they are a luxury swimming pool to a water fountain. Features really do shape a garden and are often the first thing people see so give them a little thought before installing.
Last year’s garden spend was in the billions according to Statista.com and given the pleasure our gardens provide it is not hard to see why. When you come to create your garden work on one bit at a time, be patient, and you’ll have a garden you love for many years.